Thursday, July 1, 2010

Calli Overstreet--Contributor

My name is Calli. I am a food person. You could say I am a FoodNerd. You may not believe me, but I could probably talk about food all day long. Food is fun, it's culture, it's health, it's skill, it's exploration, it's sharing and serving, tasting, and learning. It's important to me.

I have a bachelor's degree in Nutrition Science with a minor in Communications from ASU. I work for a doctor, seeing those patients that need help with nutrition, weight loss, diabetes education, and food allergies. Group cooking classes, personal consulting, and chef assisting is what I do on the side occasionally. In my last year of college, I completed an internship with a professional chef, who is a naturopath. I developed, modified, and learned many recipes during that time. Shape Up US is an organization that created a continuing education course all about health and wellness and I was a writer and contributor for that project.

I am a dance teacher, since I was 16. I teach all ages and all styles. I have taught at many different studios around the valley, and still do. This fall I will be co-teaching a program called "Confidence Connection" at Premiere Performing Arts Academy. I am mostly teaching the students about nutrition and exercise and how they relate to self confidence and empowerment. It is a program designed to help youth gain life skill so they can take on the world with confidence.

On a personal note, I am married, no kids yet, love to laugh, be sarcastic, and have fun. I sing, dance, play the guitar, and cook. I love going to the superstition market and overflowing my fridge with fresh produce for $10. I love debunking that healthy eating is expensive.

My philosophy is what I like to call  90/10. 90% of the time we should eat whole, non-processed food, Ex: veggies, fruit, lean meats, fish, and nuts and seeds. The other 10% is just because we can't change overnight and be hardcore in a blink. We live in a world of food that is horrible for us, but happens to taste so good.

I will be contributing recipes, tips, nutrition facts and myths, and restaurant reviews of places that actually serve or will serve you healthy food!! That's how I roll, welcome aboard :)

3 comments:

  1. Cali- are you meatless? I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this! In theory, it's obviously a good idea, but if I don't have some meat in my meal, I DON'T FEEL FULL! Any thoughts? Advice? Can't wait to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS- My word verification word was "Disease" should I take this as a sign about my last post? ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not meatless. We as human beings are omnivores, meant to eat plants and animals. However, I am nearly grainless though.
    About feeling full... Fat digests the slowest so you could add avocado or almonds or some sort of healthy fat to your meals to get you nice and full! They are more calorie dense though, so you only need a small portion. Let me know if you have any other questions.

    ReplyDelete

Speak Naturally